Human beings require energy – and lots of it – to run our planet. Every since the industrial revolution, we have required more and more energy each year to keep our factories, automobiles, air conditioning units, and domestic appliances running. As large nations like China continue to ramp up industrial production at record rates, the global demand for energy has never been greater.
Traditionally, industrial nations have relied upon fossil fuels like oil, coal and natural gas to power our economies. Fossil fuels are an example of this type of energy resources. There are many specific types of non-renewable energy, including:
* Various types of coal such as anthracite, bituminous coal, and lignite
* Petroleum products used to make gasoline, diesel fuel, and heating oil
* Natural gas, the methane in which is extracted and used as fuel
* The uranium ore used in nuclear fission reactors is a non-renewable energy resource
What is the advantage and disadvantage of non-renewable energy? As follows:
1. Widely available, at least currently
2. Simple to use and engineer, given that it is based upon a simple combustion process
4. Easy to transport and distribute
1. Contributing to the warming of the planet, or global warming
2. Causes pollution such as acid rain, which hurts animals and plants around the world
3. Potential source of global political unrest, given that many nations are reliant upon other nations for these non-renewable energy resources
While these energy resources have a number of advantages. the disadvantages are causing nations, corporations and individual home owners to take action to expand upon our access to renewable energy resources such as water, wind and solar power.